20 Murfreesboro homes evacuated Wednesday night
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WMOT) -- The residents of 20 Murfreesboro homes were evacuated Wednesday night due to a leak in a propane tank.
The incident began at around 9 p.m. Wednesday evening. Mufreesboro Fire Department crews responded to reports of a gas leak on Cliffview Ct. The upscale homes back up to the Stones River and are located just one block from Riverdale High School.
Fireman discovered that the gas was leaking from a 500 gallon propane tank at 1946 Cliffview Ct. The department decided to allow the tank to vent until empty. Crews sprayed the tank with water to dilute the escaping gas.
Was the tank ran dry, residents were permitted to return home just before 1 a.m. The cause of the leak hasn’t yet been determined. Amerigas will be on the scene today to investigate further.
A Murfreesboro Fire Department spokesman says residents were “fortunate that the tank emptied without causing an explosion.”